CELEBRATE… The Imagining of Cold Fusion
“It’s the end of the of the world as we know it… and I feel fine.” The song. The Mayan calendar. The christian Apocalypse. Each might truly be understood… thru cold fusion.
Stella Adler, “Put off your imagination, as you put off your overcoat, when you enter the laboratory. Put it on again, as you put on your overcoat, when you leave.”
Meaning… each experiment requires one to imagine better methods of measurement, observation, and experimentation, in science.
Meaning… every phenomenon observed requires the imagining of improved theory that advances understanding, in science.
So many of our greatest imagine, “What is the usefulness of imagining?”
1. Of high price or great value; very valuable or costly: Precious metals.
2. Highly esteemed for some spiritual, non material, or moral quality: Precious memories.
3. Dear; beloved: A precious child.
4. Affectedly or excessively delicate, refined, or nice: Precious manners.
5. Flagrant; gross: A precious fool.
6. A dearly beloved person: Darling.
7. Extremely; very: She wastes precious little time.
Origin: 1250–1300; Middle English preciose (<Old French precios) <Latin pretiosus costly, valuable, equivalent topreti(um)price, value +-osus -ous
Synonyms 1. See valuable. darling, and cherished.
Through My Eyes the World is Made Precious
Everything is Sacred… Everyone Divine…
Whatever Forever I’m Living My Love
Everything is Laden Everyone in Time
Through My Eyes the World is Made Precious
Everything Revolving Everyone Evolving
Whatever Forever I’m Living My Love
Everything Plays Out Everyone Sublime
1. Elevated or lofty in thought, language, etc.: Paradise lost is sublime poetry.
2. Impressing the mind with a sense of grandeur or power; inspiring awe, veneration, etc.: Switzerland has sublime scenery.
3. Supreme or outstanding: A sublime dinner.
4. Complete; absolute; utter: Sublime stupidity.
5. Archaic: a. Of lofty bearing. b. Haughty.
6. Archaic: a. Raised high. b. High up.
Origin: 1350–1400; (noun and adj.) an element of uncertain origin, variously identified with limis, limus oblique orlimen lintel, threshold; (v.)Middle English sublimen <Old French sublimer <Latin sublimare to raise, derivative of sublimis
1. To fill or cover abundantly (used chiefly in the passive): Trees laden with fruit; A person laden with honors. Origin: before 900; Middle English laden, Old English hladan to load, draw up water.
IMAGINING… holds a wonder of experience
Here are a few delights to add to your day during a moment of relaxation.
An item of innovative science along with an absolutely fantastic, really well thought out,
and genuine ‘real tv’ show. (no kidding)
“Microalgae Lamp Absorbs 150 Times More CO2 Than Trees” LINK
There are still people who think there is nothing on TV and that people cannot change…
Have tissues ready, breathe. Share…
“Derren Brown – Apocalypse” Channel 4 Two Parts on youtube
- Thomas Jefferson Live out of your imagination, not your history.
- Stephen Covey Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination. These give us the ultimate human freedom. The power to choose, respond and change.
- Stephen Covey Imagination is more important than knowledge.
- Albert Einstein The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
- Albert Einstein Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions.
- Albert Einstein Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
- Albert Einstein I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
- Albert Einstein To raise new questions; new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.
- Albert Einstein The only limit to your impact is your imagination and commitment.
- Tony Robbins There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
- Ronald Reagan First is thought and then organization of that thought, into ideas and plans; then transformation of those plans into reality. The beginning, as you will observe, is in your imagination.
- Napoleon Hill All the breaks you need in life wait within your imagination, Imagination is the workshop of your mind, capable of turning mind energy into accomplishment and wealth.
- Napoleon Hill The man who has no imagination has no wings
- Muhammad Ali The lunatic, the lover, and the poet, are of imagination all compact.
- William Shakespeare You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
- Mark Twain Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.
- C. S. Lewis Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.
- Walt Disney Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
- John Lennon This world is but a canvas to our imagination.
- Henry David Thoreau It is usually the imagination that is wounded first, rather than the heart; it being much more sensitive.
- Henry David Thoreau Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
- Henry David Thoreau The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates.
- Oscar Wilde My country has contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived.
- John Adams Here is everything which can lay hold of the eye, ear and imagination – everything which can charm and bewitch the simple and ignorant. I wonder how Luther ever broke the spell.
- John Adams Imagination is the key to my lyrics. The rest is painted with a little science fiction.
- Jimi Hendrix The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can get for a dollar, is bound to succeed.
- Henry Ford Imagination rules the world.
- Napoleon Bonaparte The human race is governed by its imagination.
- Napoleon Bonaparte There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do.
- Anais Nin All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.
- Edgar Allan Poe The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led.
- Edgar Allan Poe Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
- Plato Science does not know its debt to imagination.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop the picture… Do not build up obstacles in your imagination.
- Norman Vincent Peale Imagination is the true magic carpet.
- Norman Vincent Peale Cowardice… is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend functioning of the imagination.
- Ernest Hemingway You may be sure that the Americans will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination.
- Charles de Gaulle Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.
- Voltaire A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.
- Jane Austen Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan We’re living in a time when the world has suddenly discovered India because it’s run out of raw material for its imagination. The raw materials for imagination are inexhaustible here.
- Deepak Chopra To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
- Thomas A. Edison Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
- Leonardo da Vinci Aptitude found in the understanding and is often inherited. Genius comes from reason and imagination, rarely.
- Marcus Aurelius An idea is salvation by imagination.
- Frank Lloyd Wright Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
- H. L. Mencken The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity… and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself.
- William Blake Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow.
- William Blake Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are all alone with your concentration and imagination, and that’s all you have.
- James Dean Imagination decides everything.
- Blaise Pascal Men often take their imagination for their heart; and they believe they are converted as soon as they think of being converted.
- Blaise Pascal Imagination disposes of everything; it creates beauty, justice, and happiness, which are everything in this world.
- Blaise Pascal Few people have the imagination for reality.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Nothing is more fearful than imagination without taste.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart’s affections, and the truth of imagination.
- John Keats What the imagination seizes as beauty must be truth.
- John Keats My imagination is a monastery and I am its monk.
- John Keats America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
- Harry S. Truman This is one of those cases in which the imagination is baffled by the facts.
- Adam Smith Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
- Noam Chomsky We are so obsessed with doing that we have no time and no imagination left for being. As a result, men are valued not for what they are but for what they do or what they have – for their usefulness.
- Thomas Merton All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy; have we a right then to depreciate imagination.
- Carl Jung Without this playing with fantasy; no creative work has ever yet come to birth. The debt we owe to the play of the imagination is incalculable.
- Carl Jung The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable.
- Carl Jung Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.
- Lauren Bacall Liberty: One of Imagination’s most precious possessions.
- Ambrose Bierce Happiness is not an ideal of reason, but of imagination.
- Immanuel Kant We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca The reason we have poverty is that we have no imagination. There are a great many people accumulating what they think is vast wealth, but it’s only money… they don’t know how to enjoy it, because they have no imagination.
- Alan Watts The power of imagination makes us infinite.
- John Muir Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.
- Gloria Steinem It’s a slight stretch of the imagination but most people are alike in most ways so I’ve never had any trouble identifying with the character that I’m playing.
- Jack Nicholson You have all the reason in the world to achieve your grandest dreams. Imagination plus innovation equals realization.
- Denis Waitley Faith is spiritualized imagination.
- Henry Ward Beecher The soul without imagination is what an observatory would be without a telescope.
- Henry Ward Beecher Let us leave pretty women to men devoid of imagination.
- Marcel Proust He is the true enchanter, whose spell operates, not upon the senses, but upon the imagination and the heart.
- Washington Irving Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.
- Vincent Van Gogh Those Dutchmen had hardly any imagination or fantasy, but their good taste and their scientific knowledge of composition were enormous.
- Vincent Van Gogh Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.
- Francis Bacon Every great advance in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination.
- John Dewey Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination.
- Edward Abbey We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but it is somewhat beauty and poetry.
- Maria Montessori Intelligence is the wife, imagination is the mistress; memory is the servant
- Victor Hugo Memories, imagination, old sentiments, and associations are more readily reached through the sense of smell than through any other channel.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Los Angeles gives one the feeling of the future more strongly than any city I know of. A bad future, too, like something out of Fritz Lang’s feeble imagination.
- Henry Miller Imagination is the voice of daring. If there is anything Godlike about God it is that. He dared to imagine everything.
- Henry Miller Happiness is ideal; it is the work of the imagination.
- Marquis de Sade The imagination is the spur of delights… all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?
- Marquis de Sade Never lose sight of the fact that all human felicity lies in man’s imagination, and that he cannot think to attain it unless he heeds all his caprices. The most fortunate of persons is he who has the most means to satisfy his vagaries.
- Marquis de Sade Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.
- Marquis de Sade The public has an appetite for anything about imagination – anything that is as far away from reality as is creatively possible.
- Steven Spielberg Don Quixote’s misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
- Franz Kafka Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
- George Bernard Shaw Our world faces a true planetary emergency. I know the phrase sounds shrill, and I know it’s a challenge to the moral imagination.
- Al Gore Our democracy, our constitutional framework is really a kind of software for harnessing the creativity and political imagination for all of our people. The American democratic system was an early political version of Napster.
- Al Gore Sometimes I feel like a figment of my own imagination.
- Lily Tomlin I must confess that my imagination refuses to see any sort of submarine doing anything but suffocating its crew and floundering at sea.
- H. G. Wells Knowledge is a polite word for dead but not buried imagination.
- E. E. Cummings We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality.
- Judy Garland The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.
- Jean Jacques Rousseau I believe in imagination. I did Kramer vs. Kramer before I had children. But the mother I would be was already inside me.
- Meryl Streep Vision – It reaches beyond the thing that is, into the conception of what can be. Imagination gives you the picture. Vision gives you the impulse to make the picture your own.
- Robert Collier The source and center of all man’s creative power… is his power of making images, or the power of imagination.
- Robert Collier The level of our success is limited only by our imagination and no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
- Mike Krzyzewski I always won in my imagination. I always hit the game-winning shot, or I hit the free throw. Or if I missed, there was a lane violation, and I was given another one.
- Mike Krzyzewski There is a boundary to men’s passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination.
- Edmund Burke There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.
- Josh Billings Uttering a word is like striking a note on the keyboard of the imagination.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope is always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.
- Robert Fulghum Imagination and fiction make up more than three quarters of our real life.
- Simone Weil Imagination is always the fabric of social life and the dynamic of history. The influence of real needs and compulsions, of real interests and materials, is indirect because the crowd is never conscious of it.
- Simone Weil We are the miracle of force and matter making itself over into imagination and will. Incredible. The Life Force experimenting with forms. You for one. Me for another. The Universe has shouted itself alive. We are one of the shouts.
- Ray Bradbury Imagination is a poor matter when it has to “part-company” with understanding.
- Thomas Carlyle But fantasy kills imagination, pornography is death to art.
- Iris Murdoch Panic is a sudden desertion of us, and a going over to the enemy of our imagination.
- Christian Nestell Bovee The degree in which a poet’s imagination dominates reality is, in the end, the exact measure of his importance and dignity.
- George Santayana Imagination… its limits are only those of the mind itself.
- Rod Serling There are moments when a man’s imagination, so easily subdued to what it lives in, suddenly rises above its daily level and surveys the long windings of destiny.
- Edith Wharton Our thoughts and imagination are the only real limits to our possibilities.
- Orison Swett Marden My view is that at a younger age your optimism is more and you have more imagination etc. You have less bias.
- Abdul Kalam There is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one’s own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels for someone, for someone, pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echos.
- Milan Kundera Reason respects the differences: imagination the similitude of things.
- Percy Bysshe Shelley The great instrument of moral good is the imagination.
- Percy Bysshe Shelley Imagination, the supreme delight of the immortal and the immature, should be limited. In order to enjoy life, we should not enjoy it too much.
- Vladimir Nabokov A writer should have the precision of a poet and the imagination of a scientist.
- Vladimir Nabokov And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
- Sylvia Plath Belief is nothing but a more vivid, lively, forcible, firm, steady conception of an object, than what the imagination alone is ever able to attain.
- David Hume One of the virtues of being very young is that you don’t let the facts get in the way of your imagination.
- Sam Levenson The woman who appeals to a man’s vanity may stimulate him, the woman who appeals to his heart may attract him, but it is the woman who appeals to his imagination who gets him.
- Helen Rowland Falling in love consists merely in uncorking the imagination and bottling the common sense.
- Helen Rowland Our imagination is the only limit to what we can hope to have in the future.
- Charles Kettering The opportunities of man are limited only by his imagination. But so few have imagination; there are ten thousand fiddlers to one composer.
- Charles Kettering True change takes place in the imagination.
- Thomas Moore Out with stereotypes, feminism proclaims. But stereotypes are the west’s stunning sexual personae, the vehicles of art’s assault against nature. The moment there is imagination, there is myth.
- Camille Paglia Pornography is human imagination in tense theatrical action; its violations are a protest against the violations of our freedom by nature.
- Camille Paglia I think my securities far outweigh my insecurities. I am not nearly as afraid of myself and my imagination as I used to be.
- Billy Connolly Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart A poet ought not to pick nature’s pocket. Let him borrow, and so borrow as to repay by the very act of borrowing. Examine nature accurately, but write from recollection, and trust more to the imagination than the memory.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge Works of imagination should be written in very plain language; the more purely imaginative they are the more necessary it is to be plain.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge Talent, lying in the understanding, is often inherited; genius, being the action of reason or imagination, rarely or never.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge I would warn you that I do not attribute to nature either beauty, or deformity, order or confusion. Only in relation to our imagination can things be called beautiful or ugly, well-ordered or confused.
- Baruch Spinoza The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.
- Samuel Johnson Were it not for imagination a man would be as happy in arms of a chambermaid as of a duchess.
- Samuel Johnson One longs for a director with a sense of imagination.
- Alan Rickman The face of nature and civilization in this our country is to a certain point a very sufficient literary field. But it will yield its secrets only to a really grasping imagination. To write well and worthily of American things one needs, even more than elsewhere, to be a master.
- Henry James For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination.
- Arthur Conan Doyle Where there is no imagination there is no horror.
- Arthur Conan Doyle Only in men’s imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life.
- Joseph Conrad One way we can enliven the imagination is to push it toward the illogical. We’re not scientists. We don’t always have to make the logical, reasonable leap.
- Stella Adler Put off your imagination, as you put off your overcoat, when you enter the laboratory. Put it on again, as you put on your overcoat, when you leave.
- Claude Bernard To put your self in another’s place requires real imagination, but by doing so each Girl Scout will be able to love among others happily.
- Juliette G. Low Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.
- Bill Hicks Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character.
- James Russell Lowell A man at work, making something which he feels will exist because he is working at it and wills it, is exercising the energies of his mind and soul as well as of his body. Memory and imagination help him as he works.
- William Morris I had a pretty sexual imagination for a kid.
- Janet Jackson Another side to me is this very sexual being. When I look back on my life, it’s always been there. It’s been there since I was 10 years old, having the imagination that I had.
- Janet Jackson It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the extraordinary
- David Bailey I do a lot of curiosity buying; I buy it if I like the album cover, I buy it if I like the name of the band, anything that sparks my imagination. I still like to go to record stores, I like to just wander around and I’ll buy whatever catches my attention.
- Bruce Springsteen My main point here is that if you are the child of God and God is a part of you, the in your imagination God suppose to look like you. And when you accept a picture of the deity assigned to you by another people, you become the spiritual prisoners of that other people.
- John Henrik Clarke Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed.
- Joseph Addison To have frequent recourse to narrative betrays great want of imagination.
- Lord Chesterfield Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality.
- Jonas Salk I paint what cannot be photographed, that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive.
- Man Ray There is hope in dreams, imagination, and in the courage of those who wish to make those dreams a reality.
- Jonas Salk For imagination sets the goal picture which our automatic mechanism works on. We act, or fail to act, not because of will, as is so commonly believed, but because of imagination.
- Maxwell Maltz Literary imagination is an aesthetic object offered by a writer to a lover of books.
- Gaston Bachelard To treat your facts with imagination is one thing; to imagine your facts, is another thing.
- John Burroughs The first piece of music that captured my imagination was probably Ray Charles Live at Newport, VA.
- Van Morrison But if I have a lot of imagination, I could tell myself whatever I wanted, you know. I handle myself quite well. I’m kind of fascist with myself, you know. There’s no discussion. There is an order. You follow it.
- Karl Lagerfeld Imagination creates reality.
- Richard Wagner I suppose I’m proudest of my novels for what’s imagined in them. I think the world of my imagination is a richer and more interesting place than my personal biography.
- John Irving Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more powerful in the mature than in the young.
- W. Somerset Maugham You will certainly not doubt the necessity of studying astronomy and physics, if you are desirous of comprehending the relation between the world and Providence as it is in reality, and not according to imagination.
- Maimonides If you use your imagination, you can look at any actress and see her nude… I hope to make you use your imagination.
- Hedy Lamarr The worlds I paint leave a lot to engage the imagination by hinting at what lies beyond the four edges of the painting. I think getting beyond the four edges of an opportunity or challenge is one of the basic skills you need in business
- Thomas Kinkade Musicals are, by nature, theatrical, meaning poetic, meaning having to move the audience’s imagination and create a suspension of disbelief, by which I mean there’s no fourth wall.
- Stephen Sondheim What I really have in my head, my imagination, my understanding of music, I never really get that out.
- Wynton Marsalis It is all very well to copy what one sees, but it is far better to draw what one now only sees in one’s memory. That is a transformation in which imagination collaborates with memory.
- Edgar Degas It is clear that the pharmaceutical industry is not, by any stretch of the imagination, doing enough to ensure that the poor have access to adequate medical care.
- Paul Farmer In the world of words, the imagination is one of the forces of nature.
- Wallace Stevens The imagination is man’s power over nature.
- Wallace Stevens We say God and the imagination are one… How high that highest candle lights the dark
- Wallace Stevens To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind.
- Wallace Stevens What distinguishes a great artist from a weak one is first their sensibility and tenderness; second, their imagination, and third, their industry.
- Salman Rushdie Children do not give up their innate imagination, curiosity, dreaminess easily. You have to love them to get them to do that.
- R. D. Laing Classical plays require more imagination and more general training to be able to do. That’s why I like playing Shakespeare better than anything else.
- Vivien Leigh The scientific imagination always restrains itself within the limits of probability.
- Thomas Huxley We are all afraid for our confidence, for the future, for the world. That is the nature of the human imagination. Yet every man, every civilization, has gone forward because of its engagement with what it has set itself, to do
- Jacob Bronowski A nickname is the heaviest stone that the devil can throw at a man. It is a bugbear to the imagination, and, though we do not believe in it, it still haunts our apprehensions.
- William Hazlitt Today the function of the artist is to bring imagination to science and science to imagination, where they meet, in the myth.
- Cyril Connolly The higher the artist: the fewer the gestures. The fewer the tools: the greater the imagination. The greater the will: the greater the secret failure.
- Ben Okri People write memoir because they lack the imagination to make things up.
- Tom Robbins That neither our thoughts, nor passions, nor ideas formed by the imagination, exist without the mind, is what every body will allow
- George Berkeley An opera begins long before the curtain goes up and ends long after it has come down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my life long after I’ve left the opera house.
- Maria Callas When the imagination and will power are in conflict, are antagonistic, it is always the imagination which wins, without any exception.
- Emile Coue Without imagination we can go nowhere. And imagination is not restricted to the arts. Every scientist I have met who has been a success has had to imagine.
- Rita Dove Anyone who said he wasn’t afraid during the civil rights movement was either a liar or without imagination. I was scared all the time. My hands didn’t shake but inside I was shaking.
- James L. Farmer, Jr. I have a very vivid imagination.
- Janice Dickinson Imagination is at the root of much that passes for love.
- Gilbert Parker For us artists there waits the joyous compromise through art with all that wounded or defeated us in daily life; in this way, not to evade destiny, as the ordinary people try to do, but to fulfill it in its true potential – the imagination.
- Lawrence Durrell I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.
- Ursula K. Le Guin My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.
- Ursula K. Le Guin It is above all by the imagination that we achieve perception and compassion and hope.
- Ursula K. Le Guin Fools act on imagination without knowledge, pedants act on knowledge without imagination.
- Alfred North Whitehead How can a doctor judge a woman’s sanity by merely bidding her good morning and refusing to hear her pleas for release? Even the sick ones know it is useless to say anything, for the answer will be that it is their imagination.
- Nellie Bly Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he isn’t. A sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
- Horace Walpole It is not enough to know your craft – you have to have feeling. Science is all very well, but for us imagination is worth far more.
- Edouard Manet I don’t necessarily start with the beginning of the book. I just start with the part of the story that’s most vivid in my imagination and work forward and backward from there.
- Beverly Cleary People can die of mere imagination.
- Geoffrey Chaucer The peculiar fascination which the South held over my imagination and my limited capital decided me in favor of Atlanta University; so about the last of September I bade farewell to the friends and scenes of my boyhood and boarded a train for the South.
- James Weldon Johnson Life is possible only by the deficiencies of our imagination and memory.
- Emile M. Cioran I used my imagination to make the grass whatever color I wanted it to be.
- Whoopi Goldberg Appealing workplaces are to be avoided. One wants a room with no view, so imagination can meet memory in the dark.
- Annie Dillard Reason clears and plants the wilderness of the imagination to harvest the wheat of art.
- Austin O’Malley I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings.
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich To think, and to feel, constitute the two grand divisions of men of genius – the men of reasoning and the men of imagination.
- Isaac Disraeli A great wind is blowing, and that gives you either imagination or a headache.
- Catherine the Great You have to come in and be that character when you walk into the room. That’s what one of my first acting teachers taught me. You know, don’t go in there being Jennifer and then expect to flip and change, because they’re not going to have that imagination
- Jennifer Lopez Lyrically I like to use themes that make the listener use his or her imagination, and to give a little of the lessons I’ve learned in my own life.
- Ronnie James Dio I don’t think art is propaganda; it should be something that liberates the soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further. It celebrates humanity instead of manipulating it.
- Keith Haring Imagination is the eye of the soul.
- Joseph Joubert One who has imagination without learning has wings without feet.
- Joseph Joubert Vulgarity begins when imagination succumbs to the explicit.
- Doris Day If we divine a discrepancy between a man’s words and his character, the whole impression of him becomes broken and painful; he revolts the imagination by his lack of unity, and even the good in him is hardly accepted.
- Charles Horton Cooley Apathy can be overcome by enthusiasm, and enthusiasm can only be aroused by two things: first, an ideal, with takes the imagination by storm, and second, a definite intelligible plan for carrying that ideal into practice.
- Arnold J. Toynbee Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
- Tom Stoppard On the one hand, the guns were there to help capture the imagination of the people. But more important, since we knew that you couldn’t observe the police without guns, we took our guns with us to let the police know that we have an equalizer.
- Bobby Seale The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.
- Richard Wright I think I’m an actor because I have very strong imagination and empathy. I never studied acting, but those two qualities are exactly the qualities that make for an activist.
- Susan Sarandon When you start to develop your powers of empathy and imagination; the whole world opens up to you.
- Susan Sarandon I surrendered to a world of my imagination, reenacting all those wonderful tales my father would read aloud to me. I became a very active reader, especially history and Shakespeare.
- Andrew Wyeth I can’t work completely out of my imagination. I must put my foot in a bit of truth; and then I can fly free.
- Andrew Wyeth We all know here that the law is the most powerful of schools for the imagination. No poet ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer interprets the truth.
- Jean Giraudoux There is no better way of exercising the imagination than the study of law. No poet ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer interprets the truth.
- Jean Giraudoux Intercourse with a woman is sometimes a satisfactory substitute for masturbation. But it takes a lot of imagination to make it work.
- Karl Kraus If the reporter has killed our imagination with his truth; he threatens our life with his lies.
- Karl Kraus We especially need imagination in science.
- Maria Mitchell Imagination is the air of mind.
- Philip James Bailey I would find myself laughing and wondering where these ideas came from. You can call it imagination, I suppose. But I was grateful for wherever they came from.
- Amy Tan Essentially, I’m untrained, so I just go with my imagination and try to put myself as solidly as I can into the shoes of whatever person I’m going to be playing.
- Christian Bale Fear of error which everything recalls to me at every moment of the flight of my ideas, this mania for control, makes men prefer reason’s imagination to the imagination of the senses. And yet it is always the imagination alone which is at work.
- Louis Aragon It is not that the child lives in a world of imagination, but that the child within us survives and starts into life only at rare moments of recollection, which makes us believe, and it is not true, that, as children, we were imaginative?
- Cesare Pavese If God is male, then male is God. The divine patriarch castrates women as long as he is allowed to live on in the human imagination.
- Mary Daly No amount of skillful invention can replace the essential element of imagination.
- Edward Hopper Man lives by imagination.
- Henry Ellis She has no imagination and that means no compassion.
- Michael Foot Fortunately, somewhere between chance and mystery lies imagination, the only thing that protects our freedom, despite the fact that people keep trying to reduce it or kill it off altogether.
- Luis Bunuel He brought imagination to the story of the Creation.
- Harvey Keitel Having imagination it takes you an hour to write a paragraph that if you were unimaginative would take you only a minute.
- Franklin P. Adams There must be room for the imagination to exercise its powers; we must conceive and apprehend a thousand things which we do not actually witness.
- William Godwin There can be no passion, and by consequence no love, where there is not imagination.
- William Godwin The four cornerstones of character on which the structure of this nation was built are: Initiative, Imagination, Individuality and Independence.
- Eddie Rickenbacker I have no idea why I write. The old standards are: I like to express my feelings, stretch my imagination, earn money.
- S. E. Hinton Ghost stories really scare me. I have such a big imagination that after I watch a horror movie like ‘The Grudge’, I look in the corners of my room for the next two days.
- Vanessa Hudgens It was just very interesting to me that certain types of women inspire people’s imagination, and all of them were very difficult women.
- Elizabeth Wurtzel I am imagination. I can see what the eyes cannot see. I can hear what the ears cannot hear. I can feel what the heart cannot feel.
- Peter Nivio Zarlenga Love is based on imagination.
- Olivier Martinez I try to decorate my imagination as much as I can.
- Franz Schubert Taste refers to the past, imagination to the future.
- Mason Cooley Imagination has rules, but we can only guess what they are.
- Mason Cooley Fantasy mirrors desire. Imagination reshapes it.
- Mason Cooley Toy Soldiers was my introduction to film. I certainly didn’t think I was doing art by any stretch of the imagination.
- Tim Robbins The human imagination… has great difficulty in living strictly within the confines of a materialist practice or philosophy. It dreams, like a dog in its basket, of hares in the open.
- John Berger The past is really almost as much a work of the imagination as the future.
- Jessamyn West Dr. Einstein was not successful in school, but he found something in the air from his own imagination and his own brain power, and look what he did.
- Eartha Kitt My imagination functions much better when I don’t have to speak to people.
- Patricia Highsmith If my accent betrayed my foreign birth; it also stamped me as an enemy in the imagination of the producers.
- Bela Lugosi I loved the world of imagination.
- R. A. Salvatore Imagination is the only key to the future. Without it none exists; with it all things are possible.
- Ida Tarbell If you got a good imagination, a lot of confidence and you kind of know what you are saying, then you might be able to do it. I know a lot of colorful characters at home that would make great actors.
- Jason Statham Imagination has brought mankind through the dark ages to its present state of civilization. Imagination led Columbus to discover America. Imagination led Franklin to discover electricity.
- L. Frank Baum I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see.
- Duane Michals In those days, it didn’t take much imagination to come up with something that required great lyric development skills. You just thought of an experience that you might have gone through, and write it down.
- Phil Harris Wit is the appearance, the external flash of imagination; thus its divinity and the witty character of mysticism.
- Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel The really great writers are people like Emily Bronte who sit in a room and write out of their limited experience and unlimited imagination.
- James A. Michener The realities of the world seldom measure up to the sublime designs of human imagination.